Stacking adult one considerable opening after another, Carson Wentz is tarnishing out to a gentle lead in a Offensive Rookie of a Year race. Wentz tossed a span of touchdowns en track to his initial 300-yard performance, heading a Philadelphia Eagles to a 34-3 laugher over a Pittsburgh Steelers. Here’s what we learned:
1. After regulating a undermanned defenses of a Browns and Bears to springboard into a inhabitant spotlight, Wentz was approaching to face a litmus exam opposite a Steelers, a long-lived AFC contender. Wentz soon delivered Pittsburgh’s many unilateral detriment in scarcely 3 decades. Wentz drew comparisons to Ben Roethlisberger all week, including manager Doug Pederson’s note that his rookie boasts Roethlisbergian downfield prophesy when a play breaks down. That charge was ideally encapsulated when Wentz transient vigour to boyant a ideal pass toward Darren Sproles for a 73-yard touchdown. The play prisoner Wentz during his finest, showcasing his container presence, athleticism, prophesy and leafy touch.
It’s not surprising for gifted though fresh quarterbacks to brew highlight-reel plays with mind-numbing miscues. What creates Wentz special is that he has generated a large plays though a drive-killing errors. He became a initial rookie in NFL story though an interception in a initial 100 pass attempts to start a career. It’s tough to find a some-more fit quarterbacking opening than Wentz’s Sunday line that generated a 74.2 execution rate and 125.9 passer rating during 9.7 yards per attempt. That’s not including a forsaken 41-yard touchdown from Dorial Green-Beckham and a ideally thrown sideline explosve that Jordan Matthews scarcely corralled on a final chuck of Wentz’s afternoon.
2. Wentz’s boiling start has vaporous a boffo bid by Jim Schwartz in his initial year as Eagles defensive boss. After entering a diversion second usually to Seattle in Football Outsiders’ defensive metrics, Philadelphia close down one of a league’s many bomb descent attacks.
Led by Pro Bowl defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and rising corner rusher Brandon Graham, a front 7 pushed a container all afternoon, gloomy a Steelers’ inclusive belligerent diversion and putting unchanging feverishness on Roethlisberger. With dual some-more sacks on Sunday, Cox now has 7 in his final 7 games. Safety Malcolm Jenkins pitched in with a excellent all-around bid that enclosed 3 passes defensed.
3. As considerable as Roethlisberger’s receivers were in a season-opening feat over a Redskins, they have been underwhelming since. Markus Wheaton forsaken 3 passes in his deteriorate entrance Sunday, while container receiver Eli Rogers was suffered a toe damage that kept him out for a final dual quarters. Sammie Coates continues to advantage from Roethlisberger’s standing as a best low passer in football, though is a distant cry from Martavis Bryant as a second fiddle to Antonio Brown. All Pro tailback Le’Veon Bell is returning from cessation only in time to supplement a playmaking hint in home games contra a Chiefs and Jets a subsequent dual weeks.
4. The NFC East spotlight shines on Dallas’ descent line, though Philadelphia’s has been a division’s tip section so far. Even with Ryan Mathews nursing an ankle injury, a Eagles reeled off 7 runs of 10 or some-more yards, led by fifth-round rookie Wendell Smallwood. The front line also kept Wentz’s jersey clean, giving him time to indicate his second and third reads all afternoon.
5. Sproles gave a Steelers’ pass invulnerability fits, branch shade passes and a damaged play into a difference-making performance. One of a underappreciated four-down backs of a past decade, Sproles bypassed Herschel Walker to enter a tip 10 in career all-purpose yards (18,192). He’s in a association of a horde of Hall of Fame using backs and far-reaching receivers:
â Chris Wesseling (@ChrisWesseling)
September 25, 2016