Just because the relationship ends doesn’t mean the drama has to begin.
Whether it’s the biggest A-list couple in Hollywood or the average pair down the street, calling it quits and splitting up usually involves a few messy moments. But sometimes, a romance can end peaceful and amicably.
Earlier today, E! News confirmed that Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts split after more than 11 years together. And instead of a cryptic statement or Instagram quote, the pair decided to release a comment together that proved things between the two aren’t so bad.
“Over the past few months we’ve come to the conclusion that the best way forward for us as a family is to separate as a couple. It is with great love, respect, and friendship in our hearts that we look forward to raising our children together and exploring this new phase of our relationship,” the couple told us. “While we appreciate your curiosity and support, we ask the press to be mindful of our children and respect their right to privacy.”
Furthermore, the pair was spotted holding hands at the Toronto International Film Festival just a little over two weeks ago. And yes, social media points to the pair possibly attending a birthday party together this weekend in New York City.
The split got us thinking of all the famous pairs who have ended their relationship without things turning dramatic in the public eye. Perhaps not all love is lost with these duos.
Val Malone/WireImage.com, Jeff Vespa/WireImage, Getty Images
1. Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult: Back in August 2014, the X-Men co-stars broke up. And yes, the split “was very amicable” according to a source. “They spent a lot of time apart because of work, and it was difficult on their relationship,” the insider shared.
2. Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr: When it was confirmed that Miranda was engaged to Evan Spiegel, a source shared with E! News how thrilled Orlando was for his ex. “Orlando is happy for Miranda,” our insider shared. “He spoke with and congratulated her. Orlando knows that Evan treats Flynn well so that’s all that matters to him.”
3. Courteney Cox and David Arquette: During a recent episode of Running Wild With Bear Grylls, Courteney opened up about her amicable split. “I think that we were such good friends,” she shared. “It wasn’t a dramatic ending…I mean, as divorces go, I would say it’s one of the better ones. For sure. We’re good co-parents together.”
4. Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder: Shortly after breaking up, the Vampire Diaries co-stars attended the 2014 People’s Choice Awards where they accepted the award for Best Chemistry together. Perhaps it was the kiss on the cheek. Or maybe it was the pair acknowledging this moment was a little awkward. Whatever the case may be, there was still plenty of love and chemistry on that stage.
Gareth Davies/Getty Images
5. Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz: Their real life romance may have fizzled in 2007. However, that didn’t mean that the two couldn’t heat up the screen in the 2011 movie, Bad Teacher.
6. Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin: After reaching their 10-year anniversary, the couple decided to consciously uncouple in March 2015. “He’s like my brother. I’m really close to him,” Gwyneth shared on NBC’s Today show. “We’re a family. Even though we’re not in a romantic relationship, we’re a true family and we like to do things to reinforce that we’re a family for the children [and] for each other.”
7. Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie: Even since the proud parents to baby Luca split in January 2014, the pair have proven time and time again that they can co-parent with little to no issues. “I think we both feel lucky that we’re dealing with each other and we have a great kid so that makes it all the better,” Hilary shared with E! News just this week. “That we both enjoy him to the fullest and it’s great.”
8. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Dany Garcia Johnson: When announcing their separation, this couple had some fans wondering if there was any problem to begin with. “While certain aspects of our relationship have changed, we are both vitally important to each other’s lives,” the joint statement said. “We’ve been fortunate enough to spend the last 17 years together as a couple and look forward to spending the rest of our lives together as best friends and business partners.”